Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Queensday in the Netherlands











Why Queensday (or Koninginnedag in Dutch) ? Why not? I think its great to have a Queen and all, and even better to celebrate her birthday, but thats not why I decided to celebrate the largest birthday party in the Netherlands...maybe in the world! I went for a real Dutch experience (twilight theme plays in the background).

In Amsterdam I couchsurfed with an amazing woman who was one of my past surfers mother. She lived in a prime location in Amsterdam...though I think that anywhere in this small country is a prime location. Amsterdam is such a quaint and beautiful city. Modernity is available but optional. They find value in wholesome activities like riding bikes...EVERYWHERE! This was probably my most favorite thing about Amsterdam. Not only because I am a health guru, but because it gave me hope for change.

About 30 years ago, Amsterdam foresaw that they had a problem...there were too many cars on the road! So they made progressive changes to implement more bike use. Some of these changes included making parking rates ridiculously high, these rates increase yearly making it very expensive to own a car in Amsterdam. Additionally, they created large parking structures, for bikes only! When you get out of the main train station in Amsterdam look for a huge spiral concrete structure, yup, thats a parking garage for bikes!

Okay, back to Queensday. Well actually lets start with Queensnight--the night before Queensday. This pre-holiday is as large as the actual holiday (sorta...). It takes place in many cities around Holland but is most famous and best attended in The Hague. You may know this city because it is famously known as the site where the international court holds war crime trials (i.e. WWII and the Nazi's). Well, after I went to a Couchsurfing Dutch pancake party in a nearby town--my group and I went to The Hague. It was more crowded than a Nsync concert (lol!). An Nsync concert with beer and black licorice and bands singing in Dutch. It was honestly great!

I won't go into detail about Queensday--it was quite an experience. Think city (country) wide garage sale with food vendors, dancing, and concerts. I walked solo in my Orange dress (Everyone wears orange on Queensday) and received smiles and positivity from everyone. When I was in the Netherlands I felt so ...comfortable. It is pretty diverse, but the skin color spectrum isn't what created my disposition...it was the attitudes--the genuine respect that people give to one another no matter who you are.

I also visited Rotterdam and had another great Couchsurfing host. I tramped through tulips, drank Belgium beer, visited windmills, and had some great conversations regarding race. The Dutch gentleman that I stayed with in Rotterdam informed me that the Dutch do not see color. So of course I went on to ask him which woman would his mother choose if myself and a White woman were presented to her. He said she would prefer the woman who came from the best family. So I guess their prejudices lay in class and not race? Well, we all know that the Dutch colonized South Africa, Surinam, parts of India, and a many of other places AND they are considered one of the first Europeon countries to partipate in slave trade spanning from 1500-1850. Well, at least they are trying to change... Although, I did get a spirit of prejudice when it came to their immigrant populations, especially Muslim immigrants.

Alas, what can I say, it is Europe. Anyway, in all I had a great time. Go if you can...I hear that Queensday is one of the best times to go because it truly is a national holiday. Queensday is celebrated on April 30 (April 29 if the 30th is a Sunday) Will I go again? Probably not, I did a lot on this premier trip!

Doei!

NE

0 comments:

Post a Comment